Tuesday, July 5, 2011

More MOOC - We'll See How It Works Out

It's been over a week of following rabbit trails of eduMOOC discussions, adding myself to Plurk, WikiSpaces, learning new terms and acronyms and generally stumbling around this monolith of a class.  I've commented, re-commented, even been quoted, 'liked' and rebutted a few times, and tried to start a few long-term collaborations.  We'll see how it works out.  


I've found lots of links to online rubrics, rubric makers, evaluation tools, and evaluation procedures.  


One of the interesting threads where I hope to make a few long-term contacts is on WikiSpaces, discussing K-12 online and distance learning here: here .  I'm intrigued to learn what others' experiences are.  So far, participants range from former home-school parent/distance learner/substitute teacher/religious educator to teacher of online classes and faculty educator at community colleges with 10 years experience to a guy with 25 years experience as an independent school educator taking a year off to explore course design.  Yes, I copied their bios straight from introductions.  I am hoping to deepen the conversation into what works and doesn't work in K-12 online education.  Right now, it feels like we are all still searching for others to join the discussion.  We'll see how it works out. (Note: do you notice a theme here?  If not, keep reading)


This week's topic is "What the Research Tells Us".  Pre-broadcast discussions seem over my head, to be frank.  I see lots of people talking about their own research, but nothing concrete that seems like it would benefit the whole.  As with last week, it looks like my interest is going to be on a tangent to the advertised subject.  I think this is maybe the whole point of this Massive course: to get people to collaborate on different topics of their choosing.  We'll see how it works out. (Get the theme yet?)


Oh, and I signed up for a 1 hour webinar tomorrow about WikiSpaces for K-12 Education.  Yes, it is a shameless plug for their product.  I know that.  I'm genuinely interested in exploring if this might be useful to us next year at TPLC.  Again, we'll see how it works out.  (I couldn't help but to continue the pattern).

So, that's about it for now.  I'll keep you updated on how it works out.



No comments:

Post a Comment